Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Latin?

Have you ever noticed how people like to use different languages to make normal words sound more interesting? Forgive me for the hypocritical question and allow me to explain. I was thinking about a title for a piece of writing I was starting when I realized that almost nothing I have ever written ha a normal English title. Why is that?

Why is it that we are all so fascinated by other languages when our own is such a popular language in all the other countries? Is it merely a case of the grass being greener on the other side or is there some sort of psychological trait in people that makes them forgo their own native language for other languages? Have we cheapened the use of the words in our language so much that in order to properly express ourselves we must pick words from other languages?

Discuss amongst yourselves and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment